Dakar Rally 2017. Day 5. Tupiza, Bolivia - Oruro, Bolivia. ReLux Estates Stage..
6th of January for the team began in the early morning. Roman and Bert left the bivouac in order to complete the special stage.
The weather conditions however worsened over the course, since this period of the year in Bolivia is usually associated with the rain season.
After the 1st checkpoint, ASO, The Dakar organisers, decided that for safety reasons, the remainder of the stage and the subsequent day racing will be cancelled with the participants moving directly to La Paz by asphalt roads.
The results up until checkpoint one were counted for the whole stage 5, and now our team stands at the 48th position overall. Yet again the team made it through, although many other competitors got stuck or eliminated from the current edition of the Rally.
The unscheduled cancellation of stage 6 makes it up for the team, since now they have more time to prepare for the second half of the rally, during the resting days in La Paz, the capital of Bolivia.
The Dakar Rally will resume on the 9th of January, that will see the competitors complete a 640 kilometre run from La Paz to Uyuni, a town located in the midst of the biggest Salt Lake on the planet, as a part of longsome two-day marathon stage.
Stay tuned for more news from the Podium in La Paz and upcoming videos from our very own journalist, Steven Marlboro.